On 28/05/2015 07:18, James E Lang wrote:

I think it's been established that the OP is a Windows user.

FWIW, the OP said they used both Windows and Linux.

Please identify the Windows equivalent file as well as the quoted Linux
file

The quoted Linux file is
/opt/libreoffice4.4/program/soffice

Inasmuch as I no longer do Windows, I have no idea where the equivalent
file is found in Windows, nor what it is called.

I do know that on my old DosBox, I used to be able to do things like
«for f in *; do; libreoffice --calc -o $f; done».
Not for LibreOffice, since it was not compiled for Dos,^1 but I could do
it with other programs. I have no idea how much of that was due to
modifications made to my Dosbox. (My most frequently used manual for
that system was O'Reilly's Referee book. I don't remember which version
of BSD or Unix it was written for. True to its roots in Dos, more than
once a shell script tripped up, because I used "/" instead of "\".)

In theory, something like that should be doable on Windows. In practice,
maybe not.

I am guessing that it exists in the user's file system once LO is installed and that it is
invoked when execution of soffice begins.

C:\Programs\LibreOffice\program\soffice would be my guess. But I have
pretty much forgotten most of what I knew about Windows configuration,
and file placement.

You speak of editing the script so that it opens the specific calc (.ods?) files.

It's your standard shell script, albeit with a couple of complications
thrown in, for good measure.

Where does one look in the script for the code to open certain "calc" files?

I've forgotten which lines I changed, when i wanted that specific
functionality. :(

It was/is much simpler to simply alias «for f in *; do; libreoffice
--calc -o $f; done» than modify that shell script.
Wondering now if I simply renamed soffice to soffice1, and named the
shell script soffice.

Point is, what the OP wants to do can be done, at least in a *Nix
environment.

#####

In summary:

* Option # 1: Edit the default shell script that starts LibreOffice;
* Option # 2: Write a shell script, and use that as an alias for soffice;
* Option #3: Try to force the desktop icon, start menu, and desktop icon
to accept «for f in *; do; libreoffice --calc -o $f; done» as the
command to invoke, when selected.

Most important:
Find a more efficient way to do
«for f in *; do; libreoffice --calc -o $f; done»

^1: Back in the days before OOo 1.0, I tried compiling the *Nix code on
my DosBox. Needless to say, it failed with a slew of error messages
complaining about unsupported/unavailable libraries. Too many error
messages for me to consider further work on porting it to DOS.

jonathon