Hello,

Le 10.12.2014 16:58, Gordon Burgess-Parker a écrit :

On 10/12/14 15:27, dave boland wrote:
Charles,

May I ask what is wrong with a traditional news group?  They work
very well,

They /did/ work very well.
I shouldn't think that anyone under the age of (say) 30 really knows
what NNTP is, far less how to access and use it.
Many hardware and software vendors are resorting to Twitter and
Facebook in order to offer support - it's what many people now feel
comfortable with.

Just my 2d....

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with mailing lists. But social networks just happen to be channels or media through which people steadily and increasingly ask for support. Not one is better than the other. However, Gordon is right in pointing out that there are two different demographics concerned. One seems to be very clearly anywhere from 12 to 40 years old, quite diverse ethnically (although we have several mailing lists catering to users in many different languages) and this segment is the one mostly using social networks. The second one is mostly male and ranges anywhere between 40 and 120. Granted you were not asked your age but by rough data collected at events, meetings with people on users mailing lists we have the picture of a more senior population. Obviously, these are ballpark estimates. Once you put the requests we have on Twitter, Facebook, G+ and ask.libreoffice.org and compare them with users mailing lists trafic, it becomes clear that a large segment of the users population does not use mailing lists and will not use them even after being told to and shown where and how to subscribe. Here, we have ballpark estimates again, but in terme of questions asked it seems we have roughly between 10% less and 20% more questions asked that are not on users mailing lists.

They ought to be taken into account and we're calling for help: volunteers welcome!

Best,

Charles.