On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 8:19 AM, Alan Pedder <alanpedder@hotmail.co.uk>
wrote:

*Really appreciate your reply but unfortunately a lot of what you wrote is
a bit over my level of knowledge and whilst I understand the terminology it
did raise several questions i.e.1. Storing binaries refers to jpg files?2.
What would a back end database look like? A spreadsheet?3. MySQL is an
application that would interpret/interact with the database. Hence Libre
Base would not be involved?4. Are there more stable databases products
available excluding Access5. I get what you say about pointing to
jpg/binaries but that is a feature I like about Base and not sure what
Field Type would do that?*

Hi again Alan.

Sorry to jump in the deep end with my reply. A database is typically used
by a very small number of people compared to word processing, spreadsheet,
etc. As a result I didn't even think about holding back the jargon in my
reply.

Seems a number of people have given answers that should help you on your
way. Regarding your questions here...
1. Yes
2. Yes, that is one way the table can be viewed. Like looking at the table
in your database. Just keep in mind it is not a spread sheet and so even
though it looks similar it does not work the same way.
3. MySQL *is* the database. LibreOffice Base is the program that shows you
the table that is MySQL gives it. Kind of like your web browser lets you
look at web pages. Each web site has its own web server and gives the web
page to your browser to display for you. MySQL is the server and gives the
table to LibreOffice Base to display for you.
4. There may be. I don't know of them. Hopefully other respondents can give
an idea what options there are and how stable they might be. (Presuming you
envision a "single product" answer where the whole thing can be managed by
a single program as with Base and Access.)
5. Andreas provided that answer. If you missed it he suggests VARCHAR(100).