Hi :)
The macros are very specific to that 1 specific version of MS Office.  To
use the file in MSO 2007 or 2013 or 365 then you might need to have the
macro rewritten.

If you had them rewritten for LibreOffice then you probably wouldn't ever
need to rewrite them again, except to add improvements or the fairly rare
times that a relevant bit of functionality got completely rewritten in a
different way.

Is there any chance of posting the macro's code into an email for this
public mailing list to have a look at?  People sometimes have suggestions
about what might need to be changed or even some coding suggestions
sometimes!

When Writer crashes it used to often be due to Java.  Is it possible to
turn java off for a bit?
Tools - Options - Advanced/Java
and then untick the box that enables java in LibreOffice.  If the program
grumbles about it then you can always switch it back on the same way.

Another possibility is the memory settings
Tools - Options - Memory
and just ramp everything up quite a lot.  Maybe not the number of steps you
can take back but the amount of ram per object and the total ram allowed
for the whole document seem like good ones to increase!

Regards from
Tom :)