Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
We went off on a tangent around here somewhere.  There still seems to be a
problem installing LibreOffice on this Windows 7 machine.

The download is an msi so that IE issue doesn't seem to be the problem.
The installer's file-size is 215,652kb, so that's around the 220Mb figure i
try to remember.  We've not tried an md5sum or Sha check to make sure but
it really looks like the download itself was probably NOT the issue.

That looks about right for the LibreOffice 4.2.6.3 installer. Checking the checksum would help confirm that it hasn't been corrupted.

Firefox has installed successfully so it's not that the user doesn't
understand the weird blockers Win 7 tries to put in the way of installing
anything (which usually seem (to me) more intense when trying to install
non-MS stuff)

Win 7 is still claiming that the installer is not an installer, even though
the installer is an msi file.  The exact grumble is
"Windows Installer    This installation package could not be opened. Verify
that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the
application vendor to verify this is a valid Windows Installer Package."

Could be a problem with the Windows Installer service. From previous discussion, it looks like this is on Windows 7 without Service Pack 1 (and possibly other updates)? So first, install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and any other updates offered by Windows Update. The Windows Installer service is sometimes updated, and newer installers don't always work with an older version.

I've also seen mention of people working around this error by creating new Windows user account and logging in to that to install. Probably means there's something not quite right in the original profile. Provided you install for all users rather than just the current user, you'll still be able to use the application from your usual login.

Anyone any ideas about what might be different enough between the Firefox
installer and the LO one to be causing this issue?

It looks like Firefox uses an .exe installer, rather than .msi, so there may be many differences. Even if Firefox's is just an .msi packaged within an .exe, it might work with an older version of the Windows Installer service than LibreOffice's does.

Mark.

Regards from
Tom :)

On 17 September 2014 13:19, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster <