Hi :)
Yeh, Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress are almost definitely not what you are
looking for!

However i suspect that it might be easier and faster just to go with
Wordpress anyway but only if they give you a free hosting service
temporarily "just to see what Wordpress can do".  Joomla offers such a
space but it's waaay to complicated to learn quickly and it's definitely
overkill for this - plus it uses the template structure you dislike!

Errr, given your skill-set it might be helpful to know (surprised if you
don't already though) that if you create a copy (ie back-up in case it goes
wrong!) of an Odt and change the file-ending from odt to zip.  Then the zip
opens easily to show all kinds of interesting things inside the
container-format.  The main bit is the
contents.xml
which you might be able to edit in a text-editor to do search/find-replace
to replace all the xml-coding with html-coding and then drag it and the
folders (such as the images folder) out of the zip file.

I'm not sure how efficient that approach is!  For most of us it'd be a
complete nightmare but i've got a feeling you might find that the best
route for you!
Regards from
Tom :)