I thought I had replied to this, but I don’t see any record of a reply from me.

I’m quite visual, but operate in different "modes."  When I’m writing or doing layout design, I
*have* to have things simple and intuitive and for layout, I need to see things as I move them
around.  But once I get into "programming mode," I can deal with HTML directly and have no problem
with a more complex text editor or even vi or emacs - but there’s no way I could use one of those
while writing!

I’ve looked at Bluefish, but for my initial work, I need a good WYSIWYG setup.

For now, and for the foreseeable future, I’ve decided I’ll use LibreOffice for HTML for the initial
version - until I get it looking like I want it.  Then I’ll keep two copies of each page I’m
working with.  On one I’ll use LibreOffice and do the visual editing.  Then I open both versions in
a text editor as I copy and paste and manually edit the HTML code for the other "live" version with
all the form data and so on included.

Overall, yes as Alex says, LibreOffice, as an HTML editor, is crippled.  At some point I have a
question on another issue I want to post relating to the HTML editor and how converting to HTML can
seriously mung the whole layout of an ODT document.  (But that’s a whole separate issue.)
Unfortunately, Dreamweaver has the market and I don’t want to spend a ton (or, as it is now, a
monthly subscription) for it and I can’t find a good HTML editor for OS X for a lower price.

So thanks for the thoughts and comments, everyone.  For now I’ll just use my "split" approach and
do the visual, then keep the pages separate so I can keep my forms and such intact.

Hal