Hi :)
Mark raises a good point.  It's worth migrating rather than switching.

LibreOffice works well alongside MS Office and it's good to have both on
most computers for a while.  A migration means people are still able to use
the more familiar system for a while if they really need to and it gives
them time to become more familiar with the newer system at their own pace.

There are various optimum routes for this.  One of my favourite routes is
to start by leaving MS Office as the default for their formats but keep
LibreOffice as the default for ODF.  As they get more and more ODFs they
find themselves using LibreOffice more and more, naturally.  Maybe also set
LibreOffice to be the default for the older MS format too (the doc, xls,
ppt etc).  After that phase has shown a few people they can right-click on
a file to "Open with" something other than the default then switch it over
so that LibreOffice is the default for all types of documents.

Some people say that letting people default into their familiar old system
means that many wont ever try the new system.  However some people will try
it and those people will be handy for the next phase - as they will
probably have already found out answers to the problems the
stick-in-the-muds manage to find.

Of course the Microsoft world tends to push people into switching by
forcing them to get rid of (or 'upgrade from') the system they are familiar
with.  Then productivity drops and users can be blamed for not learning the
new way.  Then many of the new users resent the new system and grumble
about how much better the old one was and push for it to be resurrected.

I think the switching route is a bit rude tbh.  I don't see why people have
to have their toys snatched away like that.
Regards from
Tom :)

On 15 September 2014 19:30, Mark Bourne <