Hi :)
i guess different people might expect different patterns.  Most of the ones
given in Gary's post make total sense to me.  Generally i avoid leaving it
to any spreadsheet program to try to guess what pattern i want.  Usually 3
values is enough to define a simple arithmetic progression but 4 values is
helpful to just make absolutely certain.

I think you can go into the configurations to define ones you personally
commonly use.  For example when i tried studying fractal dimensions and
chaos theory it might have been handy to have some interesting ones just to
see my lecturer raise his eyebrows.  Now i just live in permanent chaos and
never expect patterns to work out for me.
Regards from
Tom :)