Hi :)
For sharing and editing the Doc format is best.  Errr, for spreadsheets
xls, for presentations ppt.

Everyone seems to be able to use them perfectly fine.  It's an editable
format so the text re-flows depending on the settings of whichever machine
it happens to be on.  However it rarely suffers from incompatibility
issues.  So it's probably the best format to use these days.

If you want people to see exactly what the document was meant to look like,
ie to show it before the text reflows, it can be a good idea to also give
people a Pdf too.  Pdfs are not usually editable so it's a good idea to
normally share documents in both formats at the same time.  Even Pdfs don't
always disaply exactly the same on all systems because they often depend on
the system having the right fonts.
Regards from
Tom :)