At 15:53 07/09/2014 -0700, Jerry Noname wrote:
Is there a way to get Writer to preserve the tab indenting from the previous line on which I was typing?

I hope not. If you indent the first line of a paragraph using a tab character and you want this behaviour repeated, you would have tab characters at the beginning of every line. So far so (apparently) good. But then what happens when you edit the text and material flows naturally between lines? The tabs flow into positions other than at the beginning of the lines and you get a mess!

For instance, let's suppose that the left hand edge of this message is the left margin of a Writer document.

This is my first line of typing. <Press Enter>
<tab> Type another line. <Press Enter>
Now I want this line to begin at the same place as the previous line, at the "T" in the word "Type".

It's interesting here that, although you said you wanted this behaviour for consecutive lines, you now explain that you want it for separate *paragraphs*. Paragraphs, not lines, are what you get if you separate the items by pressing Enter, of course.

I don't want to have to use auto formatting, I get all mixed up with that stuff.

The solution to "getting all mixed up" is to learn how to use the facilities properly, so you are not "mixed up" - not to dismiss the facilities that the product provides.

I just want subsequent lines to preserve the tabs in the previous line, unless I press Backspace.

No: you don't want any tabs (unless you are using a typewriter); you want persistent indentations.

Is there a setting somewhere to do this?

Yes. You can set an indentation in the paragraph properties or the paragraph style properties. More simply, you can use the Increase Indent button in the Formatting toolbar. You can do any of these before or after you type the material, or at any point whilst you are doing so. In any case, pressing Enter to start a new paragraph will preserve the current indentation. You can remove the indentation using the paragraph or paragraph style dialogues or the Decrease Indent button in the Formatting toolbar. If you put the cursor at the start of any paragraph, you can also cancel its indentation using Backspace, as you desire.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker