On 03/09/14 13:04, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I am having the same problems on some machines (well, 1 Kubuntu machine)
but not on others (Ubuntu or Windows).  There is an intermittent bug to do
with this so it would be great if you and i could do straces and add them
to the existing bug-reports.

As a temporary work-around i first set the Kubuntu machine to use Calligra
instead of LibreOffice.  Now i'm trying to edit the;
/etc/samba/smb.conf
(after creating a copy/backup of it) on the server but so far i've not had
any luck with that.  Other people tried different versions of LibreOffice.
What mystifies me is that on all the Ubuntu machines i double-click on any
file anywhere on the network or on a client/local desktop and LibreOffice
has no problems.  Calligra does have nice features but i just don't like it
as much as LibreOffice.  So i am kinda hoping the bug gets fixed or that i
stumble onto whatever the settings are that makes LO work on Ubuntu.

Sorry this hasn't helped much! :(  Try searching the archives here too as
there were some good links posted last week on a thread i started.
Regards from
Tom :)

Tom
I think you may have misunderstood my original question. Using a file manager such as nautilus or dolphin and browsing to the network, I can access any files on network windows shares, whether on Windows machines or on a samba server. Double-clicking on the files will open LO satisfactorily. The shares seem to get mounted by the very act of using the file manager. I realise from looking through the archives that some people have problems with this, but this is not my problem.

My problem is entirely within the linux version of LO and the File-Open dialogue. On the Windows version of LO (and MS Office for that matter), there is an icon on the file-open dialogue called either 'network neighbourhood' or 'my network places' that gives access to windows shares on windows or samba machines on the network. Users can simply click on this and follow the requisite path to access files on other machines. However, on the linux version of LO, this does not appear, so users cannot access any files on network shares. It seems that LO (unlike eg Kate on KDE) does not list any network places unless they have been mounted by another application; if I use dolphin or nautilus to establish contact to the network share and **then** use the LO File-Open dialogue, the share is listed. I don't know whether this is a bug in LO or a deliberate policy decision; whichever, it causes us problems and has prevented my switching the old XP machines to Linux.

I'm presently experimenting with the alternative file-open-save dialogues as suggested by James Knott to see if that gets us any further.

regards

John