Just a thought, but wouldn't "View | Navigator" help here? On a simple
test document in Writer, after inserting a table within a table, I see
two tables listed in Navigator. They appear under each other, so there
is no way to tell that they are nested, but double-clicking on them
takes one to the first cell in each, so I can tell from that where the
tables are. Although I do note that when I have an inner table in the
first cell of an outer table, double-clicking on either table in
Navigator takes me to the first cell in the inner table. But by
right-clicking on the table in Navigator, I can select "Table | Edit"
to bring up the "Table Format" dialog, though again I note that doing
so for either the outer table or the inner table in the first cell
edits the format of the inner table, which I assume is a bug, and
should probably be reported.

Surely this would help to determine if the OP does indeed have two
nested tables, as Brian suspects?

Paul

On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 11:58:09 +0100