Thanks for the suggestions.  I have tried a number of things, and the
bottom line is that LO makes a simple task a real pain in the ass.  Many
people keep lists of things in spreadsheets - CD's, photos, tools in a
tool box, contents in the pantry, toys in the toy box, etc.  At some
time you may want an easy way to basically print out a formatted report
based on the spreadsheet data.  There is no easy way in LO.  That fact
needs to change.

I found that using the report functions of Base came the closest to
doing what I want, but doing a custom report is not easy for the casual
user.

My suggestion is to either beef up Writer, or build reports into Calc.
Make them easy to understand and easy to create.

Dave,