Hey Tom,
Hi :)
Yeh, you don't need to reinstall your entire distro. It takes a bit of wriggling but you can wriggle out of it.

Even if you do give up and reinstall a *buntu then you might be pleasantly surprised. Just DON'T reformat the partition with your /home (even if that's your / partition). That way *buntu attempts to reinstall all the same programs you had before.

I do this at least once a month ;) So not a huge big deal but I have some custom setups that need redone every time (never have made an iso of my root partition) including my exports, fstab, samba, printers, etc.... so it's not super easy and I just started second year of law school so time is stretched real thin ;)

Best,
Joel