Date: prev next · Thread: first prev next last
2014 Archives by date, by thread · List index


I haven't been on this users group for over two years, primarily because everything worked great, until now. I have an inconsistent and not often issue with Calc. Well, it's more annoying than anything else, because I can easily correct it, but it shouldn't be. Calc does weird things now and then. I was creating an elaborate spreadsheet file consisting of 13 worksheets to record my wife's and mine different Roth and Traditional IRAs vested in Mutual Funds. Each worksheet shows the DATE, transaction DESCRIPTION, DEBIT, CREDIT, share PRICE, SHAREs obtained, share BALANCE, $ AMOUNT (share PRICE * share BALANCE), percentage of gain or loss both yearly and per investment, all in separate columns. Sometimes, I complete a calculation in a cell, and press the Enter or Down Arrow key. My calculation will disappear and a ;6 will appear in the cell. Or I may randomly highlight a cell to check a formula, then when I press a directional arrow, my calculation will disappear and a : will reside in that cell. Sometimes, I'll just move an arrow key, or the mouse to move from one cell to another and wherever I move will highlight as if I was holding down the Shift key.

As I said, these issues are very inconsistent. They may not happen for days, then after a few days, they may happen several times, then intermittent, or not at all. This all started in early July. I ran anti-malware scanners, anti-virus scanners, cleaned the registry, and defragged. I changed different versions of LibreOffice (vs 4). I have LO 4.3.0, 4.2.5, 4.2.2, 4.1.4, 4.1.3, 4.1.2, and 4.0.3 (which I am currently using). I still had the same issues with whichever version used.

I discussed the issues and history with another tech and he reasoned (the same as I) that LO was having memory conflict issues with one or more simultaneous running programs. I have installed some new software, some with start up files. Those software programs were not really all that important, so I deleted them, the registry entries, and any start up files. However, the IRA spreadsheet file is all done, and I don't know if I'll still have those issue until I start another spreadsheet project.

This is all done on an HP Probook 440 G1 14" notebook with a Jan 2014 UEFI, an Intel dual core I3 2.4Ghz Haswell, 4GB DDR3L, and Windows 7 64 bit home premium purchased late last March.

My questions are: Has anyone else experienced the same? Does my reasoning sound feasible? Any ideas?


This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.

To unsubscribe e-mail to:
Posting guidelines + more:
List archive:
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted


Privacy Policy | Impressum (Legal Info) | Copyright information: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images on this website are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License. This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2). "LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use thereof is explained in our trademark policy.