The quirk arises if I print and I have also sussed out that if I create a
PDF using "Export directly as PDF" the same thing happens, i.e. a small gap
appears between the letter and the hyphen.  (On Print Preview the hyphens
are where they should be.)  I had a look at what happens when I insert a
hyphen manually.  On the PDF the manually inserted hyphen was where I'd
expect it to be, i.e. bang up against the character, so the gap seems only
to creep in when the hyphens are inserted automatically.

As I said in my previous email, I don't usually use automatic hyphenating
so my digging around is purely out of curiosity.

Graham