Hi Joel:

Thanks much for the response.

I decided this morning to take a little time and reproduce the "hyphen" problem I discussed
step-by-step so that I could file a usable bug report.

Here's how things went, and why I've decided to abandon that quest.

I started LibreOffice in the normal manner (i.e. clicking the icon). Before I had made any
selection, a notification titled "Updates for extensions available; Click the icon for more
information" appeared in the upper right corner. Clicking this displayed the "Extension Update"
dialog box.

In my particular case, it spends a few seconds and then lists one update: [o] LanguageTool. Open
source language checker Version 2.6.

I use this, and have kept it updated for some time, so I clicked on "Release Notes" and it opened
my browser and I could see what changes had been made.

So, naturally, I clicked on the "Install" button. This immediately showed a completed progress bar
at the top of the dialog box. In the "Result" panel, nothing was shown, and the [OK] button
remained inactive (greyed out) for longer than I thought normal, with no messages suggesting why,
or what it was doing.

Consulting the help provided the suggestion that some extensions require root access, so I closed
LibreOffice (still obviously not having gotten very far with duplicating the "hyphen" problem),
executed "sudo libreoffice4.3" from the command line and got the exact same behavior. The [OK]
button never (well, at least as long as it took me to eat breakfast) became active and no error
messages or other informative text ever appeared. I realize that 4.3, although out of beta, is not
considered "stable" but a couple 4.2 bugs in the repository version of LibreOffice affect me
particularly - a long story but not relevant here).

Running LibreOffice from the command line, however, turned out to be a BIG HUGE MISTAKE, as the
next time I attempted to run LibrOffice from the GUI, I encountered "Welcome to LibreOffice - Use
the sidebar to open or create a file." All references to previously used files were gone. All UI
preferences were gone, etc. etc. This is beyond annoying, of course, and I wasted another twenty
minutes or so putting things back to the way I want them, but I suppose that's the price one pays
for free software.

At any rate, still attempting to pop things off the stack in the order I had put them there, I
manually downloaded the Language extension and installed it from the extension manager, so at least
that's out of the way (although I haven't used it yet, so who knows?). I then proceeded to
reproduce the "hyphen" bug. It's there, and it's consistent, and it doesn't seem to be font
dependent (at least with the few I tried). Then I noticed the clock!

My point is that, in attempting to document one bug, I ran into another. So now maybe I need to
document two bugs. And then I remembered all the hassles the last time I submitted a bug. No. "Not
gonna happen" as they say.

This is all fun, of course, but sadly I'm living in an alternate universe (some call it "the real
world") and realize that I've already spent more than an hour and a helf doing this stuff and need
to get back to actually USING the software rather than particpating in the debugging process. No
offense, but if you or any other developers can make use of any of these comments, be my guest.

Again, thanks for the response.

Frank