On Thu, Jul 10, 2014, at 03:51 PM, Tom Davies wrote:

Hi :)
1st thing is that Base is best when used 'just' as a front-end
and with all the data in some back-end such as MySql/MariaDb,
Postgresql, HsqlDb or whatever.

Generally i think it should be possible to fill an existing
field, in all rows, by using an action Query.  However, i am
really surprised to hear that a new field can't have
zero-length or be completely empty.
Which docs have you been reading?

From Getting Started, 4.0:

Once tables have been created using the wizard, and data has
been entered, editing them should be very limited. Fields can
be added or deleted, but adding a field requires you to enter
the data for that one field for every existing record with an
entry for that field.  Deleting a field deletes all the data
once contained in that field. Changing the field type of a
field can lead to data being lost either partially or
completely.

When creating a new table, it pays to create the fields with
the correct names, length, and format before you add any data.
Deleting a table removes all of the data contained in every
field of the table. Unless
you are sure, do not delete a table

Chances are that they know tons more than me but jic it is FUD
it'd be nice to know.  The Base Guides are at
[1]https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publicatio
ns#LibreOffice_Base_Handbook

I hope someone with more experience of Base lets us know soon!
;)
Regards from
Tom :)

On 10 July 2014 20:27, dave boland <[2]dboland9@fastmail.fm>