Dave,
I use the MySQL server and have added table fields before. It is simple in the LO Base table design window.
Tables -> right click on table -> select Edit
MySQL accepts these changes and adds the field. Of course, then you must add the new field to your forms, queries, relationships and reports, as needed.

Deleting fields is another matter. I have had problems with MySQL field deletions before - especially messing with the primary key. Then it may be a matter of directly using the MySQL interface program, with some SQL code, bypassing LO Base. But it is possible. So be careful what you do. Think it out first.

I have no experience with the internal HSQLDB server. From what I read on this forum, using the internal HSQLDB server with a large 3GB database is not recommended. Best to use MySQL, MariaDB, or Postgresql for such large databases. Also, remember that there may be no way to easily port your data from the internal HSQLDB database to an external database if you so decide to make the change in the future. You may end up re-entering it all. Best to make the commitment now, before you run into a wall. Note that I consider my databases "large" at 2.7_M_B for the current largest. IMHO, 3GB is out there.

HTH.
Girvin Herr