On 07/04/2014 12:37 AM, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
There are a few reasons;
*  Base needs an external back-end but most new users wont be aware of that

Interesting. I never knew that Base "needs an external back-end"...
Perhaps you can get the documentation folks to add that to the help
files and the Base docs:
<https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications#LibreOffice_Base_Handbook>

Chapter 2 page 22:
"New database using the internal HSQL engine
If a database with multiple users is not planned, or the user wishes to
gain some initial experience with a database, the internal database
engine will suffice. It is possible at some later stage to
transfer the database to an external HSQLDB environment, where multiple
users can have concurrent access to the database on the HSQLDB server.
This is described in the Appendix to this Handbook."

*  MariaDb was set-up for much the same reasons as LibreOffice and could be
considered a sister-project worthy of support

So? There are many projects that are forks of their base code. If they
are indeed a "sister-project" then we should see regular posts and
contributions by MariaDB folks related to LO.

<https://mariadb.com/search/node/libreoffice>
"Your search yielded no results"

*  Some distros have already moved from MySql to MariaDb

OK, how about we auto connect all of the distro announcements to this
list as well? Would it be appropriate to post the ZDNet "Shuttleworth
says Ubuntu is sticking with MySQL"?

This 'spam' is less than 1/month and there have been people on this list
who have appreciated getting them.

Then perhaps you could instead point them to:
announce mailing list
announce@mariadb.org

I've certainly nothing against MariaDB, and yes I realise the benefits
of connecting to an external database such as MariaDB.
 Had the announcement has something, anything, in it related to
LibreOffice (e.g. information regarding  then I would have appreciated
the information. However I do think that sending MariaDB announcements,
particularly those that have nothing to do with LibreOffice, to this
list is spam.

Note: Posting the "MySQL for Excel 1.3.1 RC has been released" (July 2)
http://lists.mysql.com/announce/924 might have been more beneficial IMO.
At least that relates to something that may directly affect LO.