Hi :)
There are a few reasons;
*  Base needs an external back-end but most new users wont be aware of that
*  MariaDb was set-up for much the same reasons as LibreOffice and could be
considered a sister-project worthy of support
*  Some distros have already moved from MySql to MariaDb

This 'spam' is less than 1/month and there have been people on this list
who have appreciated getting them.

I really wish there was someone on the Postgresql mailing list who would
let us know each time they have a stable or LTS or such-like release.
Would also be nice to hear from various others such as the HsqlDb people.
Regards from
Tom :)