Hi:

Someone asked me offline (or is that back channel?) to provide examples of
what I meant by my comments regarding Impress. I think the implication was
that these were unfair rants. So here are examples that come to mind:

1) I said Impress is a "Work in Progress": this wasn't a slur, merely an
observation. One example is that the export to pdf doesn't support anything
but the slides themselves. I don't even know whether the developers ever
intended to "complete" this capability for Notes, Handouts and such. I just
went to utilize a feature that I assumed would be there, and found that it
didn't exist (or at least I can't find any way to make such a choice). I
utilized a third-party "printer driver" which worked just fine, although it
would be nice to have all of the capabilities of LO's own PDF exporter.

2) I said that Impress has "interface inconsistencies": again, just an
observation. One example is that if one copies an object on one slide, and
then pastes it into a different slide, and then uses one of the arrow keys
to move the object's position (the pasted object is clearly selected -
handles showing, etc.), the screen display will jump to an earlier or later
slide rather than moving the object within the slide. If one holds the arrow
down (when, for instance, the object needs to be moved a good distance), you
might end up at the first or last slide of the presentation depending on
your reaction time to the unexpected screen chaos. This is, of course, quite
simply explained by the fact that pasting an object doesn't seem to give
that object (and the slide display) focus, but rather leaves it on the
thumbnails on the left side. I don't believe that is the normally expected
behavior, and it certainly isn't how Writer, for instance, reacts (although
I understand that pages are not "independent" as they are in Impress).
Again, this normally isn't tough to deal with - you just have to remember to
click on the display before attempting to move the pasted object. If you're
pasting a selection of multiple objects, however, you end up needing to
re-select them before moving - and this can be quite tricky if they've
landed on top of other objects.

So, if my comments appeared snooty to anyone else who was too polite to call
me on them publicly, I apologize if the tone seemed offensive. I believe,
however, that the remarks were factual - I certainly can't imagine anyone
making the argument that Impress is at the maturity level of Writer. And I
don't think that should come as a big surprise given the relative importance
(and user interest) of the two. It just 'is what it is' as they say.

Have a great day ...