I'm using LibreOffice Version: 4.3.0.0.alpha0+ Build ID:
be4035d00f37c492494fa7860955b6d0868c7f77 on 64 bit Ubuntu 12.04 LTS - not
because I have any desire to be "bleeding edge," but simply because some
bugs in earlier versions were directly impacting things I wanted to do in
Writer.

I've used LibreOffice Writer for some time now but only recently began using
Impress.

I have to say that the name is a bit misleading. Although Impress is usable,
it has very little consistency with Writer in terms of how one accomplishes
things - worse, it has very little internal consistency, but I've managed to
muddle along until today, when I decided to use its table capabilities.

Without going into the difficulties of selecting things, one key thing that
seems to be missing is the capability to delete a table once you realize
you've stepped into what seems to be "first draft" code.

I've tried selecting the table, then pressing delete, cut, and all of the
usual suspects, but it simply won't go away. It isn't apparent whether the
problem with deleting it is related to the strange behavior when selecting
it (which I've also managed to do with the usual different techniques) or
because the delete function just doesn't exist.

Am I missing something ? Any help would be appreciated.