Tom,

Good morning.

I bothered to comment at all about this for a three reasons.

First, I have a long standing serious interest inductive logic - as you know, this is the logic upon which all scientific endeavor depends. Not a "fun" topic for me, but a vitally serious and important one.

Second, I see an enormous number of these "opt-in" surveys - commercial enterprises and websites are doing them all the time. People participate as if something meaningful is happening. But it isn't. One ends up with data that has no known or identifiable relationship to any population of interest. It's all a big ruse. It APPEARS as if someone is seriously ignorant about what they're doing. OR, these efforts are a disingenuous attempt merely to induce customer involvement in an activity that brings them into contact with "the brand".

Third, as a cultural anthropologist (my first serious intellectual commitment, before clinical psychology), I'm keenly aware that there is a base of cultural knowledge in all societies. In the 16th and 17th century, that knowledge included the fact that witches were real and that at times they constituted a genuine threat to society. In our own time, respect for expertise, science, and real knowledge is such that all major potential presidential candidates for one of our two political parties are busy either disavowing the reality of rapid climate change or that it has anything to do with human activity. Scientists be damned - full speed ahead. God wants profits, not sustainable economies!

That last one scares me half out of my mind. My species may not have what it takes to survive in the long run.

So, it appears that one of my principal roles in this world is to be an educator, whenever and where I can.

I don't think Virgil is doing this "for fun". I don't think the respondents think their responses are meaningless. Seriously now: who in their right mind is interested in the practices of those who bother to respond to this would-be survey? What possible importance can be attached, at all, to their responses? I don't get it. If there isn't some degree of belief that this matters (which is cannot, as I've previously explained), what's the point?

So, I am induced to think that they really DO belief that this has significance, and so I posted what I did.

That's what's behind my post, for what it's worth.

I could be completely cynical and just shake my head and move on. I choose not to.

About other matters, I'll respond, next, now that I'm up and half way through my first cup of coffee!

Tom