Have you tried inserting a table to your page?
3 columns and two rows.
Row 1 is for the pictures and row 2 are for the text for each photo.
You can easily center the photos in each of their cell[s].

Seems to work for me.

I tried it in LO 4.2.2.1 on a Linux Mint/MATE OS.

Yes, in another post there is a comment about the object memory size. If the Memory size of the object and the number of objects values are too low, it might give you problems. Remember, the file size and the "memory size" are not the same. JPG images have a compression rating and can be much smaller than the memory that is needed to display it. I worked with a 4 MG file size JPG file and it took almost 20 MB of memory in the image editor. If I set the memory per object to 10MB and need 20MB, then they will be issues with the document, or so I have seen in tests a year or two ago.

I never tried the Anchor to a Character before. I usually use Page or Paragraph types. But Page anchoring is not "wise" if you document will be added to before the image page, since the relative position of the image[s] in the document will change.