Ian McCarthy wrote
I have a document -

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qp6rf6edhuui8qb/SpeyElectrics.v16.odt

It consists of a number of pages, the first two should have only writing
on them, then there are some line drawings, then a page with an
annotated image (page 6), followed by some more diagrams.

I am having a number of problems.
When I reopen the document after editing some of the draw lines and
other objects. Things have leapt to other pages.
When I attempt to select multiple objects so I can group them, when I
press the shift key and click, I end up on the image page  page 6
When I select a line, the line tool bar does not appear. I have to draw
a new open line and then by selecting that I can get the line drawing
tools icons (to add and delete points etc), and I may then be able to
edit the line I wanted to edit.
Is it something special about this document, or is this a more general
problem.

Make certain that you have enough memory for LibO and it's images, and that
you leave them in memory whilst you work on the document. TOOLS > OPTIONS >
MEMORY. Otherwise LibO will spend its time manipulating the drawings. Ifind
the defaults are not correct for me.  As well as the anchor point, I find it
is also useful to manage the WRAP option. This has quite an effect on the
text when you are adjusting the graphics.  Peter