http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_(programming_language)

R is a free software programming language and software environment for statistical computing and graphics.

Calc has a limit of one million rows (well, 1048576 if I remember correctly).

I expect that you will not have this problem if you manipulate the data using R. I don't remember off hand how large my data sets were when I last used R, but I never had a problem apart from figuring out how to accomplish what I wanted.

If you have trouble when Calc performs an auto-save, then disable auto-save.

GNUmeric used to have a row limit of 65536 rows, but, that was removed. I have no idea if they simply set a new maximum, or, if they removed the limits in some other way.