Hi :)
Ouch!  A bit of a knee-jerk reaction again!  I'm obviously quite tense
today!

Maybe take advantage of the fact they specified OpenOffice and didn't
mention LibreOffice at all.  Keep using LibreOffice?  That way you are not
exactly breaking their ruling just bending it a bit.

If you get a file that is clearly a bit messed up, from a tutor, ask them
which version of MSO they are using because your version doesn't seem to
read it properly (omitting to say your version is not actually MSO).  Ask
them to
File - "Save As ..."
to send in the older format that everyone CAN read.  If they press you on
which version you are using obfuscate and say that you've heard all the
different versions have problems with that particular file.  Chances are
that they do anyway but it'd be nice to check in the library or somewhere
if possible just to be certain.

If the file was from a student then do about the same but maybe consider
telling them to use LibreOffice or anything else so that their files can be
used by anyone.  But students can be annoyingly naive so take care with
such suggestions in case that back-fires too.

Regards from
Tom :)