Thanks for the responses ...

I have reported the issue as a bug (for whatever that's worth); the number
is 77265.

I acquired my build from the nightly builds (albeit a while back); I did not
compile it myself.

As for Tom's suggestions:

I have 4G or memory and I quite regularly use LO for very large documents,
so I don't believe that's the issue; in any case I couldn't bump it up any
higher than I have it anyway.

Each of the "test documents" that I used (recall I mentioned trying this
with several different LO apps) was quite small, so I don't think it likely
that the same "weird formatting" appeared in the different documents.

I also mentioned that trying a different version was not really viable for
me, since bugs in the earlier versions fall right in the middle of
capabilities that are most important to me (although apparently not to many
others).

I should mention that Tom's post doesn't sound like he has a whole lot of
confidence in the LibreOffice product, or at least much confidence in the
consistency of the product from version-to-version, build-to-build, etc.
With a product this complex, regression testing is extremely difficult, but
I've used various word processing programs since pre-PC days and, given the
complexity-to-bug ratio, LO is no worse than others (including the market
leader from Redmond).

Have a good day ...