On 2014-03-27 01:54, Virgil Arrington wrote:

On 3/26/2014 6:08 AM, James E Lang wrote:
Hi, Tom and others.

I am finding this discussion to be intellectually stimulating though I have no idea as to the mechanics involved in developing or using master documents.

What you write about saving time is most likely very true. However I have probably never written a document with more than about a dozen paragraphs and I have no idea where to look for the study materials that you say can be read in ten minutes thus immediately saving twenty minutes to an hour.

Having shouted the glories of styles, let me also say that their benefit comes from doing the same types of documents over and over again. If I were using Writer to create a wide variety of (relatively short) documents, then styles might make me go mad. To use them properly would require me to create dozens of templates and styles covering every type of possible situation. That might take far more time than just typing the dang letter and hitting <ctrl-p>.
Hi. Even in relatively short documents styles are useful, especially where presentation is involved. In an earlier message the statement "why would you use styles to simply italic a few words" could be answered. I might want to change the weight, font, etc. of all italics through my document later to balance the look. Use of styles makes it easy to tweak the document to get the look you want and to me most logical for anyone with a real interest in presentation.

As for master documents, I wouldn't go down that road unless I were doing a truly massive project, in which one minor corruption could ruin the entire document.

Virgil