I agree, Brian, that one generally need need to worry about style precision in subdocuments, since the master document controls the final output. That's the beauty of the master document process. It's almost LyX-like in its execution (what you see is what you /mean/).

But, I sense that the way Dale is creating his "faux headers" in his subdocuments, he needs an accurate wysiwyg display on each page of each subdocument, which would, of course, require that each subdocument have styles that exactly match those of the master document so that, while he's editing, he can have total comfort that the final output will be as he's created it.

So, instead of looking at this as a possible bug (which it isn't), perhaps pursue a feature request to have a Field that would pick up the first and last words of each page. Then he could put just the field in a true header and have the perfect solution.

Virgil