On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 20:49:32 -0700 (PDT)
Owen Genat <owen.genat@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
There is a statement on the OASIS website (which
unfortunately I cannot find at present) which indicates that in
order for a new feature to be included in ODF-Next by OASIS, it
must first be implemented in a few different pieces of software
e.g., Apache OO, LO, and AbiWord (2+ or 3+ implementations from
memory). ODF needs to be practical (based on real-world use cases)
and community-driven rather than a theoretical specification
developed in isolation by a chosen few.
[snip]

Given the way OASIS is organized (I'm assuming the description given
previously is essentially accurate in the important aspects):
"developed in isolation by a chosen few" is a non-issue, right out of
the gate.

Practical implementations of a proposed standard are wonderful, but,
before it's part of the standard, documents written with such
extensions are, _by definition_, non-standard formats.

In my opinion: LibréOffice ought not be writing documents, by
default, in non-standard formats.

I am disappointed to find that it does :(  To add insult-to-injury:
"1.2 Extended" is, in my opinion, misleading.  It does not clearly
indicate that what it really means is "1.2 with new and improved, but
non-standard, features."  I'm an IT guy with many, many years
experience, and, even had I noticed that buried option on my own, it
would not have occurred to me to wonder "I wonder if that means it's
non-standard?"

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is