On 02/22/2014 04:41 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
It is called bottom or in-line posting, and is preferred by the more technically inclined.

Bottom and Top posting seems to be a personal preference often pursued with religious zeal (as you mention below). While quickly browsing, top posting is easier to follow unless your email client hides all previous posts for you. I installed an extension to do this in Thunderbird; without it, bottom posting is almost impossible to follow. The extension makes it easy to follow ongoing conversations regardless, but is annoying if you were not following things from the start and want to catch-up :-(

in-line posting seems to be assumed for Thunderbird. Makes the response more like a conversation.

It is primarily Outlook users who prefer blind top-posting (ie, quoting the entire message they are replying to and adding their comment at the top).

You must work hard to get Outlook to do anything else. I know you used to be able to convince Outlook to do otherwise. I don't even know if you can still do that. Every time MS releases a new version of something these days, it usually feels like I need to relearn the product. It annoys me.

My limited exposure says that every large company using Outlook likely works in this way.

Most people who are rabidly anti bottom/inline posting will go out of their way to complain about how bad bottom posting is, and will invariably use BLIND bottom posting - quoting the ENTIRE message ABOVE your comment, which is admittedly way WORSE than blind top-posting - as examples of why bottom/inline posting is bad. They almost always simply refuse to even acknowledge the difference between BLIND bottom posting, and inline posting (quoting only the relevant portion, and putting your responses/comments AFTER the relevant quoted text, which is much cleaner and easier to read than even top-posting, mainly because you can clearly see the full context).

You can make everyone angry and happy by doing both. Place your entire message at both the top and the bottom :-)

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php