Ubuntu Upgrades can be a bit bumpy, even from LTS to LTS.

I ended up doing clean install after upgrading from 10.04 to 12.04 anyway.

Be aware of older ATI/AMD graphics cards not working unless you use opensource driver.

Use gparted to create and copy old partition to new partition on current or other drive.
Run gksu update-grub
Try Ubuntu Upgrade to 12.04 LTS and www.libreoffice.org/download on new partition. I have had success with both Ubuntu and Libre downloads and installs.

_If you don't feel comfortable about this__, don't do it._

If possible install 14.04 LTS fresh when a couple of releases have been out.