Yes, it may be time to upgrade to some higher version.
14.04 will be out soon, though.

I went from 10.04 to 12.04/MATE and it solved many "problems" I had getting updated packages [not LO] with the bug fixes needed.

Yes, 10.04 should have a 5 year support, but practical issues states that you should think about doing the LTS version upgrading when that version[s] come out. So it "officially" supported, but not by the "independent" developers of needed packages. 12.04 LTS is having that trouble now with 13.10 out.

Setting up a testing partition system is a good thing, but only if you have the space. I have a laptop that I do all my testing on, BEFORE I install the upgrade OS to this desktop. I also have my OS and /home folder[s] in a different partition than most of my data, so I have little that needs to be restored when I wipe 12.04 and do a clean install of 14.04 [soon]. Out of a 500GB partition, I have 318GB free. I tend to do a lot of work off this partition and then move the results to other storage partitions. This is do to the fact that unlike LO, some packages have a difficult time dealing with data files off the /home folder system, including those on other drives as well as other partitions. Why, who knows, but I still have to use a few like that.

So, to answer your original post, download the latest 4.1.x version of LO and test it out. I know that 4.2.0 is out, but if you have any issues with LO, 4.1.4 would let you know it was 10.04 and not the brand new line of 4.2.0. I use 4.1.4 and have no problems with Ubuntu 12.04/MATE setup.

Yes, some people like Unity, and I have used it, but I still like the older GNOME look and feel over the tile based look/feel and the menu bar for the package as the top panel.