Greetings,
I have been reading this thread, but since I do not use Ubuntu, I have no direct experience to add to this discussion. However, I may make one suggestion: check the age of your video card and computer. I use Slackware Linux and I have had KDE4 (QT-based) and xfce (GTK-based) desktop stability problems for the last 3 or 4 Slackware releases. My computer and its ATI Radeon AGP video card were over 10 years old. I recently upgraded my computer to 2-year old technology and used an ATI 4350 PCI Express video card and the stability problems went away. I suspect that the Linux devs no longer have access to the old hardware (AGP in this case) and do not test the new code with it. Therefore, it is a crap shot for new Linux versions to fully function with old hardware.

As a footnote: After the upgrade, I took the old computer and went from 1GB to 3GB of RAM, but that alone did not solve the desktop stability problems. Switching from the old ATI AGP to an even older Nvidia AGP I had lying around, and switching from the default nouveau driver, because it would not find the old card, to the "nv" driver, got the old system working stably again. But it is a "bailing wire" approach and is destined to fail in the future.

HTH.
Girvin Herr