2013/11/13 Pedro <pedlino@gmail.com>

Hi Gabriel

Thank you for the update :)

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
Ok, so I built LibreOffice 4.2.0.0.alpha1 with GTK3 support, as it's
needed
to use the broadway backend it provide.

--snip--

If I get around running a more recent version of GTK3 without breaking my
system, and if it improve things in a way that make it usable, I'll tell
here.

Maybe you should start first with 3.6.7.2 (as I mentioned in my previous
mail the guys at rollap are still running 3.5.7.2...) and maybe try the
stable 4.1.3.2

Please do keep us posted on progress!

Unfortunately, I don't think there will be significant progress on my side,
as both LO and GTK are quite large projects. Way too large to play with
only on freetime, and I believe the main issues lies between their
interactions, without one being 100% at fault. I could do this little
experiment only because support for it was available (LO using GTK3, and
GTK3 providing the broadway backend), only a recompile away. Diving into
the codebase would be time consumming.
For information, building LO from scratch took roughly 90 minutes using 3
cores to improve build time on a recent system (but one must keep in mind
that following builds are faster, since they take advantage of what didn't
changes in between).

Building a more recent GTK however brought some improvements, the most
noticeable one is the scrolling that works. Although I know some
alternative that can roughly provide the same level of functionnalities, I
kinda hope that developpers will have time to sort this out, as it can
always come in handy.