13/11/12 Pedro <pedlino@gmail.com>

Hi Gabriel, Joel, all

Gabriel Risterucci wrote
I'm having a hard t​ime compiling libreoffice with gtk3 support (or
rather, my VM is having a hard time :D).
However, I did build gtk3 with the broadway module and launched an
application (gedit) on my linux box, and "showed" it on my windows box.
It's really only the display that goes to the browser, as I see my linux
FS
and nothing else.

It's still interesting, though. If my LO build end anytime soon *and*
work
with gtk3, I'll post more details.

Please do. Thanks!

Ok, so I built LibreOffice 4.2.0.0.alpha1 with GTK3 support, as it's needed
to use the broadway backend it provide.
The result is less than stellar, unfortunately. I don't know how well LO is
written to support GTK3 yet, but there's a lot of improvements needed to
make this usable:
- Display's all whonky: menu items don't always show, have a black
background, when scrolling a document the content disappear...
- Windows/Dialogs not always opening/closing
- Crash when using fullscreen functionalities
- General unresponsiveness (on a local connection)

Also, not that I tried this with GTK 3.4.2, far from the last version.

However, even if the graphical part is fixed, the following will stay true:
- The application runs 100% on the server. Think of it as an X11
application sending it's windows to a remote machine: only the display is
deported. Execution, filesystem, all is from the server.
- Shortcuts will likely be an issue
- Response time will be a major setback: you press a key, it have to go to
the server, then the server send back a display update to the browser.
Running locally it's somewhat noticeable; over the internet that would be
problematic (although useable).

Don't know exactly where the fault lies, but some other gtk applications
works well, so I believe it's a mix between broadway not being perfect and
LibreOffice doing funny stuff to GTK.​​

You can see it "in action" here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quzoMEXRAhg.
You might want to cut the sound though, my spoken english is far from
pleasant ;)

If I get around running a more recent version of GTK3 without breaking my
system, and if it improve things in a way that make it usable, I'll tell
here.