Charles,

        What's expensive about setting up a mailing list dedicated to the
survey and asking internally "what do we want to know about users and
how do we want to find out about it"?  Or doing some requests for
volunteers from local university statistic students? Your volunteers
don't necessarily have to start from the community you are surveying
Professionalism is not about cost; it's about preparation.  And I
wouldn't recommend another survey.  At least, I wouldn't recommend it
yet.  If you don't have money, you do have time.  Take six months to a
year to get the right elements in place. In the meantime, use less
formal ways to explore what you want to know about users (feedback
forms, mailing lists, etc).