On Sat, Nov 2, 2013 at 5:11 PM, Fred James <fredjame@fredjame.cnc.net> wrote:
Urmas wrote:

"Jay Lozier":

Microsoft did not develop the first office productivity packages.

There were no 'office packages' before Microsoft Office.

Several predated any MS offerings and were available before the IBM-PC
was released.

I can remember writing college papers with Clarisworks.
And there was Wordperfect from Corel.
Although, I'm uncertain whether these were before or after MSOffice.
I saw them both before I ever heard of MSOffice, though.

Let's see...Clarisworks was released 1984.
StarOffice (Sun) was released in 1985.
Lotus 1 2 3 was released in 1983, but apparently Lotus Notes wasn't until 1989.
Wordperfect for DOS was released in 1989.

And MSOffice was released in 1991.

Of course, neither Staroffice (Sun), Lotus (IBM) nor Wordperfect
(Corel), had a full suite, initially,
as far as I am aware, but Clarisworks/Appleworks did, well before MSOffice.
OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice, of course, are both children of the
old StarOffice.

Tony
--
http://www.baldwinlinguas.com
translations, interpreting, localization