I don't want to speak for Urmas, or necessarily defend him, but I use many programs in addition to LO for my work, and in many respects I prefer other options over LO. I've often spoken of the Atlantis Word Processor, a very small Word clone that I keep going back to for its simplicity, speed and stability. And, aside from creating tables, it does all I need in word processing (and has the best built-in Epub converter that I've seen in any word processor). I've also been playing recently with markdown editors like WriteMonkey and ReText. I like typing a plain text file and having it formatted by a separate CSS file. There's a simplicity about it that is quite enjoyable. I've used LaTeX and LyX on occasion. And, my job requires me to use (and teach) Microsoft Office. I even have an old version of WordPerfect on my system for those rare times I need to read its files from colleagues.

So, why am I here on this list? I still use LO for those tasks that can't be accomplished by my other simpler tools. When I need tables, I use LO Writer. Also, I use Calc and Presentation and Base for many tasks, none of which are supported in the dedicated editors that I tend to prefer over LO.

LO is the digital equivalent of my minivan. It does everything, but often isn't very fun, precisely because of its relative complexity. Atlantis is my sports car; small, light and fun, but not very practical when I need to haul a sheet of plywood.

So, I stay on this list to keep learning about the program, and I've learned plenty from y'all.

I hope that blind devotion to LO over all other computing tools doesn't become a prerequisite for discussing its relative merits and failings on this list. Last I saw, this is a *user's* list, not necessarily a *cheerleader's* list.

Virgil

-----Original Message----- From: Fred James