Another trick that occurred to me when viewing that spreadsheet was
this one: Some of the column headers contain values that are needed in
calculations. Say for instance you have a column header in cell A1 that
reads "Max units 250". You can extract the value (250) with

"=VALUE(RIGHT(A1,3))"

Or, you can simply put 250 in the cell, and custom format it with this
format string:

"Max units "###

This way it shows as "Max units 250", but the cell contents is just
250, and can be used in calculations.

Neat trick.

Paul

P.S. Note that there is an issue across saves when using this trick to
format a number as a per hour rate, at least in the South African
locale. There's been a previous thread about this, and I still need to
file a bug report. Basically if you use a cell format like

"R "#,##0.00 " / hour"

It will be fine until you save, but things get messed up when you
reopen your document.

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 15:19:30 +0200