None of the work-arounds have the value of going back and forth constantly
between outliner and word processor functions. It's not costing me tonnes
of money--when I had to buy a new computer, since it had to be Windows
because of the fact that nothing yet replaces Word, that's what I bought.
Then I installed all my old software on it. My Adobe is out of date, so I
used other stuff. My M$ Office 2003 works just fine, so I don't have to
replace any software for my new computer. The Linux partition was the only
reason I had to buy another computer at that time, but I would have run out
of space sooner or later, anyway, so rather than eliminate the Linux
computer, I just bought another one.

But I only use Windows today for one reason--the outliner in Word. Nothing
else is essential. And none of the workarounds suggested hold a candle to
what I need. Maybe Scrivener, which has enough features that I like that I
can see potentially using that as my means of dumping Windows.

I have some PHP code that I haven't uploaded yet on the Linux partition of
the old computer, so I had to keep that computer & partition so that I
wouldn't lose my work, mainly because I'm too lazy to deal with a low
priority upload at this moment. My current IDE is ShiftEdit which runs on
any OS, because I'm not going to let myself get trapped in one OS or the
other until I'm ready to dump Windows all together, which depends on
finding a full-featured word processor that allows seamless switching back
and forth between outliner and print/normal modes. Literally everything
about that switch depends on finding a Linux office suite that does
everything I want regarding the outliner. Otherwise, I'm stuck with Windows
forever.

My new laptop has a 17-inch screen, which is better for the kind of work
I'm constantly doing, but I'm annoyed at Windows 8, and it just makes me
wish with more desire for LO to actually be able to replace what I do now.

I do have one small fear, which is probably groundless. I have a document
in Word which is almost 1.5 million words long, and which has around 15,000
cross references. In an early version of OO, I couldn't pull in an earlier
version of this document without breaking OO. I'm a little nervous about my
doc in LO, but I haven't tried it, and since what I have isn't broken, I'm
not taking a whole lot of time to investigate. In addition, I've taken most
of the cross references and imported them into the PHP and database, which
is the ultimate destination of the entire 1.5 million-word project, thereby
producing a prototype with 720 dynamic pages on the web. (This prototype
only contains a small portion of the 1.5 million words, but it covers the
entire set of cross-references.) So theoretically, the need to maintain all
of those cross-references in a doc is no longer so important.

This is a project I dreamed up when computers weighed twenty tonnes and ate
punch cards, and when hypertext hadn't been invented yet. I've been
collecting/inventing/writing the content ever since. I'm now actualizing it
exactly as dreamed, including the UI. Where the hell did that dream come
from, eh?

Cougar

PS. And by the way, I had the entire project visualized as some sort of
open-source back in 1976, which is interesting, given that open-source was
a rare concept back then. I don't yet have enough of the infrastructure
built, yet, to begin to actualize that part of the vision, but then, I've
at least started with the basic plugins that will form the infrastructure
for opening up the content to allow multiple authors, and I've got plans.
I'm used to thinking long-term. I'm a beginner in both PHP and JavaScript
programming, so it will take a while. But then 1.5 million words already
took a while. It'll take the time it takes.

Working without a fully integrated outliner/word processor would slow me
down.

On Sun, Oct 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM, nabbler [via Document Foundation Mail