I am not a Macro person, but I wonder how much of this can be done with
Macros.

I know one book writer that does a great deal of his work through macros
he created over the years.  He could not find any word processor package
that did what he wanted so he learned to write macros.  First with Star
Office, then OOo, and now using LO on his Linux system.  I do not
remember all of the things he wrote about in his "author's notes" before
he got into his e-newsletter, but one time he did talk about all of the
things he needed to be done and went out to find a package that could do
it through the macros.  The last "author's notes" was about getting OOo
running on a new Linux system.  That was when it was in the late 1.x
stage or early 2.x one.  Just about 2 years ago, I found out he switched
to LO.  He no longer writes/co-writes 4 to 6 books a year, but he still
does a few, now that he is in his late 70's.

So
Those who are really good at writing Macros, how much of the info below
can be taken care of through some type of macros?