On 13/10/2013, CougarB <cougar.b@gmail.com> wrote:
I took a look at Leo, Jedit, and OPML, and frankly, none of them are as
convenient as M$ Word. I'm using Word as both a word processor and an
outliner, and it's extremely convenient to be working on a document as an
outline, then move over to a word processing mode without losing the
outline structure, and work with formatting and other elements that are
convenient in that view, and then move back to outlining without losing my
formatting and other tools that are available in Word. When I'm writing in
outline format, I even want to just experience my novel as it will be read
on the page, and then go back to using the outliner.

Without using m$, it would seem that the outliner feature may be one
reason for document instability; how does moving of nodes cope with
internal cross-references and bibliographic references for example?
How stable is outliner functionality with images?

The options to proceed:

Change your behaviour and adapt to use LO writer styles

Carry out benefit-cost analysis of you using m$ compared to learning
programming to implement outline behaviour in LO, perhaps as an LO
extension. In this case you should contact the LO programmers and
others for further help to build such an extension.

Use a text editor, then import to LO writer and apply styles
accordingly (could use find & replace function)