Hi :)
+1
On the rare occasion i have glanced through newspapers in the last few years i have noticed really
bad kerning between words on different lines.  I doubt LaTeX is really perfect either although it
probably is a shed load better than Writer/Word.  Getting the spacing right between words on
different lines without leaving the end all raggedy takes craftsmanship (craftswomanship) and is
more of an art than a science.  Computers will never really understand the way human beans see
things.  They can only approximate.  ("If only you could see what your eyes have seen" Bladerunner
replicant to the chap that manufactured his eyeballs)

The people who compare Writer to LaTeX seldom mention how well Word compares.  People reading some
of these posts, or quoting them in articles,  might be under a false impression.  The very fact
that people are annoyed that Writer is not a perfect Desktop Publishing shows how much closer it is
than Word.  Word makes a complete mess of documents.  If you tried listing the various nasty messes
Word makes in an average document then it could take a looong time.  That's why they have
Publisher.

Having used Publisher a fair bit, and Word and now Writer but not LaTeX i think output quality
starts with Word as being the worst on the left
Word ................. Publisher .... Writer ................... LaTeX
although maybe the gap between LaTeX and Writer is even closer than that?  There might be some
things Publisher does better and maybe i have only ever seen it being mis-handled but so far
everything i have seen produced by people experienced (but not necessarily good with it) with
Publisher has been done a lot better by a noob with Writer.

Regards from
Tom :)