On Wed, Aug 07, 2013 at 06:35:48PM +0100, Tom Davies wrote:
Hi :)
I'm just installing Win7 to a machine that already had WinXp working sort-of-fine-ish.  One of
the early screens said the process would involve rebooting itself several times and i should
ignore it and let it get on with it.

Then it gave me a few choices which i had to click on.  I think i had to fill in something too.
(ie so i couldn't just ignore it).  When it rebooted the cd/dvd stayed in the drive.  Should i
press "Any" key to get back to the installer or not.  I chose to do so.  Opps, wrong.  Stupid
user aren't i?  I should have known that it kept the Cd/Dvd in the drive in order to not use it.
Ooops, now it has told me to let it reboot again and ignore it.  Next screen needs me to fill in
something.  I begin to see a pattern forming here.  It asks for a user-name and decides i
probably want to call the machine the same thing.  The next key seemed a bit sticky.  Suddenly i
am passed the passwords screen without having set a password.  No "Back" button.

It's taken half an hour which is not bad.  It's about the same as Ubuntu on the same machine.

First thing to do is to hunt down and change the password, or even delete the non-Admin local
user.  2nd is to make the machine part of the domain so all the normal desktop users can use the
logins stored on the MS Exchange Server.  The installer did just ask if the machine is part of a
company network but i'm not sure why because i have to hunt down all that set-up myself.  It's
just put me on a new workgroup called "WORKGROUP" because they have to shout.

When i get to type in a domain it's already guessed i must want the domain to have the same name
as my laptop.  Guess i should go around and change all the other machines to that instead of
using the existing one.

If i want a different domain name i have to guess it or already know it.  There is no browsing to
search for it.  i can't be nearly right and let it give me the rest.  I have to be spot on.  It
asks for a user&pass for the domain and then gives a pop-up with a warning triangle to tell me i
guessed right.  It asks if i want to use the right guess or try again.  Now it asks if i want to
add a domain user to the local machine.  'Obviously' i made a mistake so i cancel and find the
mistake i made was clicking the button "Network ID" instead of the button "Change".  Now it does
guess the correct domain.  Was that because i typed it in the other box or did it really find
out?  Still no browse button so if the guess was wrong i would have to know.  Oh, the "Ok" button
is greyed out.  So although the text besides the "Ok" button said i could change the domain this
way it doesn't use that way to confirm.  Going back to the "Network ID" button that
 looked dodgy before i have to type the user&pass and domain name twice in 2 different boxes and
domain can only be in capital letters despite the domain name appearing everywhere else in a mix
of upper and lower-case.  If i do add a "domain user" at this point then allegedly they have full
access to all the files, folders and programs anywhere on the network.  I guess this is the new
improved security.  Now i am back at the "System Properties" box and "Apply" is greyed out so is
it going to forget what i filled in like it would for changing the Virtual Memory?

Now starts my endless cycle of updates&reboots.  Oh, and i have to install tons of programs
rather than being given nice safe 3rd party ones that i could use straight-away or swap out for
my preferred ones.  These updates&reboots don't make any effort to update drivers, codecs,
libraries or other programs.  It's just about the core OS.  Later i will go to MS.com and find
several critical security updates that weren't included in the auto-updates

When setting the Virtual Memory it told me there were 2 other hard-drives in this laptop.  Of
course using a separate physical hard-drive might be quite a boost to performance if Virtual
Memory ever gets used and reduces wear&tear.  Saves the read/write head bouncing between so many
different areas of the hard-drive.  Just in time i remember it's talking about separate
partitions on the same physical hard-drive.  They just call them hard-drives because they think
users are too dumb to understand the difference and need to be saved from all this complexity.

I get really hacked off when people tell me this is easier than installing any Gnu&Linux distro.
It's as though they had never actually tried either to compare&contrast.

And the purpose of posting this to a libreofice list is.............?

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped