Actually my 3 second test, as stated in a past post, was with 3 utilities open on the screen and 2 or 3 Firefox browser windows open. The utilities are always loaded at boot by my choice. I have several FF windows open with many tabs involved. That is part of my "normal" desktop use so I do not have to keep opening those pages every day or so, and sometimes 3 or 6 times a day.

So with all that background packages, 3 seconds is not bad at all for a Ubuntu 12.04LTS system.

Now on my Win7 laptops, well that is a different story, or similar maybe. I have a "ton" of security packages loaded up at boot time. Also there are some utilities and other options loaded, like printer management and other "stuff" like that. So there is much more packages running in the background with the Win7 laptops - both dual core but different power - so click to splash to ready for work will take longer. To be honest, I am one of those people that believes that Windows is a OS that can be easily infected with "nasties" so you must have a lot of security utilities running to keep that from happening. I know some fools that do not even run anti-virus packages. They say "why bother", "I am safe", "I never go to sites that will infect me", or my favorite "It will never happen to me. You are just paranoid".

So, the key is that fact that LO is faster loading to a usable state, now, than it was last year. Also, it is not the speed to the splash screen, but the speed of how long it will take till you are able to use the package.

So if you run all of the security package, like I do, on Windows it will take longer to load up completely than with less security. The same with Linux and how much is running in the background. The same system, down to the exact same CPU, RAM, drive, OS, etc., will take different times depending on what is installed and running. Even a fragmented drive will reduce the load and usage speeds.

So let us just say LO is loading faster than before and if a person cannot wait for a few seconds for load time, then they will not be happy with most packages out there that does similar "work". Tablets can be worse load times for their packages and I know of no one locally who has complained about that.