Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Keller schrieb:
I don't believe I've heard of "structure markup style concept" and
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I used WordPerfect for years
and could never quite get the hang of WP's styles, all the while I
took to Word's and OO's (now LO's) styles quite easily.

To put it simply:

Wordperfect (or e.g. Framemaker) styles allow to do "structure markup".

Word, OO and LO "styles" don't.

All three allow structure markup. In Word it is a little bit hidden in the UI, but in AOO and LO it is easily done.

In essence, this boils down to the fact that all sane document
processing applications (whether Wordperfect, Framemaker or dozens
of others, LaTeX or anything that outputs structured XML) use nestable
open- and close-"tags", while Word and LO/OO don't.

That is wrong. AOO and LO use ODF which is XML. What do you want to do, which is not possible?

The style concept of Wordperfect was so well designed that the original
developers (Wordperfect) even implemented an XML authoring application
(for structured XML, using real schemas and stylesheets, not spaghetti
garbage like the "Opendocument XML") that used the Wordperfect UI,
including the style editor. This application is even shipped with every
copy of Corel Office, it's just mentioned or documented nowhere.

You will need to explain "spaghetti garbage".
You can read the schema for ODF in http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/os/OpenDocument-v1.2-os-part1.html for example.

The style concept of both Word and LO/OO however is so severely screwed
up that I've never ever seen a document that would have allowed to
re-use content in any other way (within the same application!) than by
copying and pasting it as unformatted text and then re-applying all
the formatting by hand.

So you would need to blame the people who wrote the documents. If you use LO correctly, then copy and paste works well. That does not mean, that all cases are free from errors. But those are bugs and no errors in the concept.

Unfortunately these days, people only "learn" with MS garbage and thus
they learn document processing exactly the wrong way.

You underestimate the teachers.

And of course, the "reveal codes" view of Wordperfect at least allowed
to debug documents, while there is absolutely no way to do this with
Word or LO/OO documents.

Mmh, I had no problem to detect the errors in the documents my pupils had produced.

 And I wish the source view in LyX was editable.

Then you will like to use fodt in LibreOffice.

Kind regards
Regina